5 ways to start working on your mental health
Working on your whole health and wellness is more than just your physical health. This Mental Health Week is a great time to check in with yourself and make sure you’re prioritizing your mental health. This could include making big leaps forward or small actions every day to improve or maintain your well-being. Keep reading for a few ideas to get started.
1. Embrace technology on your mental wellness journey
The pandemic has had an impact on how we access and seek out care. With technology improving access to care and resources, don’t forget how helpful these tools can be for you on your mental wellness journey.
- Find a few wellness podcasts that you listen to on a weekly basis. If you’re not sure where to start, give The Daily Shine, Happiness Lab, or Radio Headspace a listen.
- Check out Stronger Minds by MindBeacon for day-to-day guidance from their team of clinical psychologists and access to videos, quick read and resilience-building activities.
2. Track your stress
Recognizing those actions or activities in your life that make you feel stressed is a great place to start managing your stress. There are even devices and tools that are designed to help monitor your stress. These devices typically focus on your heart by monitoring your beats per minute. To learn more about stress tracking using a device, click here. If a stress tracking device doesn’t suit you, you can always self-reflect on your emotions through journaling. Click here to read more about the benefits of journaling.
3. Don’t skip out on social connections
The pandemic has (and continues to have) an impact on how we fulfill the need for social connection and interaction. Those daily conversations with the people in your life has likely changed. It’s important to keep up with your relationships with your friends and family. Whether your holiday season is filled with social engagements or quiet nights at home, find ways every day to connected to the people in your life that matter most.
4. Take small steps to care of yourself everyday
It’s easy to think of mental health as a daunting journey with an ultimate destination. Don’t let yourself get bogged down in where you want to be, and focus on the small areas of your daily life you can control.
- Move your body every day. Whether that is attending your favourite spin class or incorporating a few yoga poses before bed.
- Prioritize sleep where possible. Forming healthy sleeping routines allows you to put your best foot forward every day.
- Eat nutritious meals as often as you can. Food is fuel! What you put into your body impacts how you feel.
5. Be mindful and live in the moment
Do you catch yourself worrying about things that might or could happen? Or even things that have happened in the past? Sometimes living in the moment can be easier said than done. To start living in the moment and really enjoying your life, try to focus on the now. Start paying attention to the small things around you, savor the positive experiences happening to you, and actively seek out the activities that help you to stay in the moment.
We’re continually enhancing our plans to better suit your needs. As of October 2021, your Personal Health Plans psychology benefit now covers treatment by a licensed or Saskatchewan Blue Cross approved counsellor or social worker.* Click here to learn more.