Inexpensive Summer Activities to Get you Moving!
Summer in Saskatchewan is the perfect time to get out with friends and family and enjoy the weather. From the small of fresh-cut grass to the cool refreshing water at your favourite lake or pool, there’s a lot to love! This summer, we’re excited to share some of our favourite inexpensive activities to do in these perfect prairie months.
Enjoy the many trails that Saskatchewan has to offer!
Hiking is a great way to enjoy the diverse natural delights all over this province. Ranging from easy to difficult and with a variety of lengths, from hour-long walks to overnight tenting, there’s a trail that’s accessible for everyone. For trails near you, check out Tourism Saskatchewan’s amazing and easy-to-use guide!
Essential tips for hiking safely:
- Bring plenty of water. Always pack more water than you think you will need! A large water bottle is a hiking necessity. Adults should aim to drink about a litre of water per hour of exercise (21-33 ounces) depending on the intensity of activity and the amount of sweat. On a hot summer day, staying hydrated is a necessity to avoid dehydration and heatstroke –– both of which can be very serious.
- Be prepared for an emergency. Depending on the location and duration of your hike, it is always a good idea to have some first aid supplies tucked into your backpack. For a short walk, bring bandages and an antiseptic such as Bactine, a tensor bandage, and some Ibuprofen. For a longer hike, especially if it is remote, it is essential to bring along a diverse first aid kit that is specific to the duration of the hike and the terrain you will be traversing.
- Always pack lots of diverse and nutritious snacks. A delicious and nutritious snack is a key feature of a great day in nature! Replenish your body and hike happy with snacks like nuts, dried fruit, beef jerky, and fresh veggies.
- Check the weather and dress appropriately. We all know the weather can change quickly. Before you leave on your hike, check the forecast for the UV report, temperature, and any potential storms. In your backpack, ensure you bring a coat, sunscreen, and a hat to help protect you from any potential inclement weather.
Blue Cross Tip: Remember, every sunburn increases your risk of developing skin cancer. Always protect yourself with SPF 30 or higher when you are outdoors.
Looking for more Saskatchewan hiking inspiration? The 2022 Summer Wellness Guide features the Lost Girl’s Guide’s recommendations for 3 hiking destinations within Saskatchewan!
Try a new outdoor sport this season!
Playing sports can be a great way to get outdoors and get active with your friends and family! If you’re looking for something new to try, we have the perfect list of easy summer sports to get you started.
- Disc Golf. A little like golf and a little like frisbee. This fun game is becoming a seriously trendy way to spend the summer months in Saskatchewan. With numerous courses popping up all over the province, there’s never been a better time to try it out. Check out Disc Golf Saskatchewan for all the latest updates and to see the courses near you!
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding (SUP). A fun way to get out on the water! A SUP is a long floating board that comes in various sizes and styles and uses a paddle to guide it through the water. There are many ways to enjoy this fun ride, from yoga to a casual float. In many places, including Regina and Saskatoon, you can rent a paddleboard to try it out. Why not get out on the water today!
- Lawn games. Lawn games are a great way to stay active and have fun with your friends or family. From Croquet to Spikeball, lawn darts to ring toss, there’s a game for every leve of accessibility.
Camping is a great way to experience nature!
Get outside and enjoy the beautiful array of nature that Saskatchewan has to offer! Camping is a perfect way to enjoy all the local flora and fauna while disconnecting from work and technology. In Saskatchewan, we have excellent access to all kinds of campsites with varying amenities, from full backcountry hikes to cozy yurts and cabins with amenities.
5 tips for camping success:
- Always bring bug spray!
- Use sunscreen at all times & reapply often!
- Respect wildlife.
- Clean up your area & keep trash where it belongs!
- Always ensure to properly extinguish your fire before leaving it unattended.
Let’s get active this summer, Saskatchewan!
No matter what activities you choose, staying active is a part of a healthy lifestyle! Remember to practice summer safety and to engage in the fun at your own pace. Enjoy the weather out there!